Saturday, September 11, 2010

2010-10-09 The Adventure Begins (even before it begins....)

Big Air Jim here for the 2010 fall Blog. This insert has been brought to you by the Washington Aircraft and Automotive Museum (WAAAM) My trip really gets started at the cottage where, after making a few small tweeks to the rack, I load my gear and head off to Edmonton to pick up Brad. I have to meet up with Brad at his place at 5:00 pm so I’m a bit late. As I’m 20 minutes from Brad’s driveway, I hear this gunshot blast and my passenger side window is blown out of my van. Lucille’s following behind me and she is showered with the gun blast shrapnel and broken glass. I immediately swerve into oncoming traffic and narrowly miss getting smooched by a semi-trailer carrying a 40 Tone excavator. My sharp driving skills are then put to the test as I bring the orgasmobile back to the correct travel lane and pull over to examine the extent of the damage. Luckily the enemy gun-fire has stopped and the only damage was a missing passenger side window. The Apple Auto Glass location at 169 street and 107 Avenue are the only reason Brad and I were able to actually even get our trip underway on September 9th as planned. The two hour delay was incidental. Whew!

Most of us left Alberta on Thursday September 9th. I drove with Kent in his VW Passat TDI with Brian’s old windsurfing trailer in tow. He picked me up in Wetaskiwin at about 8:30am. After filling his car and trailer (I have a lot of stuff), and then touring city hall (Kent was impressed with my new office), we got on our way.

We were about an hour behind Harold A and Harold W. The plan was to meet them at the A&W right on the highway as you turn into Okotoks. Even with the assistance of a GPS device and other technical assistance Harold (A & W ) missed the A&W and ended up lost circling around Okotoks. They ended up at some Tim’s (the third they had passed), and asked if we could meet them there – although they didn’t really know where they were…….

Rather than hunting for A&W and the third “Tims” we decided to bypass Okotoks, the Okotoks A&W and the A&W Harolds, and stopped for a Sub in Longview. We eventually met up with the Harolds in Crows Ness Past. Kent and I had an easy day of driving (splitting the driving between the two of us) – although Kent complained both times in the 800km, when I touched the shoulder rumble strips. We found a Motel in Kennewick, and spent the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment